PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Click to Zoom
- By-pass airflow technology
- Cools bike by maximizing your radiators efficiency
- Injection molded precise fit and high gloss finish
- Innovative Patented Design
MOTOCROSS ACTION MAGAZINE REVIEW
WHAT IS IT? A radiator shroud that is designed to increase airflow through your bike’s radiators.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Cycra Powerflow radiator shrouds.
(1) How it works. To understand how airplanes fly or Cycra’s Powerflow radiator wings work, you have to understand air velocity and how to manipulate it. If you think that the best way to get air through a radiator is to put a big scoop around it, you are wrong. Why? It’s not how much air hits the front of a radiator, it’s how fast it exits the back of the radiator that counts. Cycra’s Powerflow radiator wings have a 5-inch tall by 1-inch wide air scoop located outboard of the radiators. Cycra’s 5 by 1 scoop actually bypasses the radiators (none of the scoop’s air passes through the radiators, but instead flows by it). Additionally, the bypass scoop shrinks from 5 inches tall to 1-1/2 inches tall at its exit. Because of its shape, the air in the Cycra bypass scoop actually accelerates as it goes through the narrowing venturi of the plastic scoop. And, because the air going by the radiator is part of the air stream entering the radiator vanes, the total air flow (both in the bypass scoop and through the radiator) moves faster. Thanks to Daniel Bernoulli.
(2) The effect. Since the air moves through the radiator faster (because it exits faster), the water temperature and operating temperature of the engine are reduced. How much? That depends on how long and how hard you ride. Suffice it to say that you could expect a several degree drop in engine temperature over a long moto.
(3) Teams. If you want a recommendation for Cycra’s Powerflow radiator shrouds, all you have to do is look at Team Yamaha’s Grant Langston. He won the 2007 AMA 450 National Championship with Powerflow wings. Factory Connection also uses Powerflow wings.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK?
MXA RATING: 4 OUT OF 5 STARS
Any time you can get a performance boost out of an inert motorcycle part, it’s a no brainer.
- AVAILABLE FOR KAWASAKI KXF 250
- PART NUMBERS: 1865-12, 1865-42, 1865-72
- YEARS: 2013-14
- COLORS: Black, White, Green